Tuesday 13 November 2012

Lunchtime Callers

Finally, something new at the feeders. I've known there were a few greater spotted on the island for a while - frequently hearing them in the woods at the far end of the road - but have never seen them.

Happily, when I arrived home this lunch time, I caught a glimpse of a bright red bum disappearing over the wall.  I went out and topped up the supplies, rubbed a spare suet cake over the trunk of the adjacent trees, and settled down to watch. Not 5 minutes later a female woodpecker had appeared on the nut/suet feeder. Then she was gone. She returned after a further 10 minutes only to be flushed by a passing van.

A brief view, but very welcome given the slow nature of the past few weeks here. I'll stop complaining about the recent lack of birds now! I'll just have to keep the feeders well stocked and hope they see fit to move along the road from their current territory. Although I'm sure how they'd manage with the resident sparrowhawks, perhaps a second feeder around the back of the house is in order.


Shame the weather/light was bleeding awful!

2nd Showing

No comments:

Post a Comment